10 reasons we love The Yacht Club Resort at WDW
Updated: Jul 24
On the fence about traveling with teens or older kids to Walt Disney World? Book it! Where to stay? I've got you covered! As a frequent traveler to Walt Disney World, I have stayed in many different resorts on property. My family LOVES the Yacht Club and here is why...
Location, location, location....the real estate adage applies to Walt Disney World as well. The Yacht club occupies prime real estate on the Boardwalk area. For teens, no better spot! I love how close it is to the boardwalk, Epcot, and Hollywood studios, especially recently with all the new additions to Epcot and HS.
The POOL!!! Yes, the pool!! Stormalong Bay is arguably (well, really no argument) the best pool on Walt Disney World property. It has a sand bottom, a phenomenal slide, hot tubs, coves, sports pools, etc. It is awesome!! Especially great for adults and teens because you can just float around the lazy river without worrying about bumping into any splashing kids! Another tip is to just keep walking around the pool and you will find SO many hidden hot tubs or corners of the pool where no one is because it is massive!
Ale and Compass Lounge. This cool, dark, New England themed lounge is fantastic. Right in the Yacht Club lobby, it has a great menu with burgers, flatbreads, yummy appetizers, and great atmosphere. One of our favorites is the Parker bread house rolls with dips! The bread comes with 3 different dipping sauces and our favorite is the pub cheese! For my Keto readers out there, drop the diet for this one. Bring a deck of cards and your teens will love it. Plus I give my kids freedom to go there on their own, since it's right in the lobby.
Walk to World Showcase at EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. With all the excitement about Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at HS, being able to walk there is awesome!! You can take a boat, but the path is easy and you can control your pace. No need to wait for transportation. Get up, grab your coffee and go!! Likewise, want a pastry from LesHalles in France pavilion? Head over the bridge and you are there!! Last summer, my daughter and I were able to head to LesHalles before the boys had even woken up and come back with fresh pastries for breakfast
5. Ample Hills Creamery!! Okay, this is a must! Walk on over the boardwalk or take a boar across the lake and there you are...Delicious ice cream in unique flavors. Not sure what flavor you want? Get a flight! This is a great way to spend a gorgeous Florida evening. ****EDIT: this is slated to close...we are sooo sad, but so many other fun food options along The Boardwalk area
6. Beaches and Cream: Right next door to the Yacht club is Beaches and Cream soda fountain. Solid food and ice cream and right next to the pool. Some of our favorites include the grilled cheese and tomato soup because yes, it can get cold in Florida. Also something we've wanted to try FOREVER but never have is the kitchen sink sundae! We've always traveled with just the kids and I or my husband, the kids and I so we never felt like we had a big enough group to down the whole sundae but my kids will tell you they could handle it. If you give it a try let me know how it is!
7. Hurricane Hannah's. As if the Stormalong Bay pool isn't awesome enough, Hurricane Hannah's makes it even better. This is the pool bar which has great chicken tenders. My kids love sidling up to the counter and ordering their lunch and sitting at the covered tables. Great food and no fuss. But, be warned: there are ducks and they will be right under foot for some chicken tenders!
8. Updated rooms: The Yacht club has updated their rooms and removed all of the carpeting. Nautical theming and subtle Disney nods, like the sweet constellation marked curtains (hidden Mickeys).
9. Quick service and merchandise shop: My kids love the Ale and Compass market! As soon as you walk in, to the left you will see the quick service with great fresh menu items such as paninis or smoothies (my daughter loves their mango smoothie!) as well as to go options like chips, pre-made sandwiches and salads in the freezer section, and a cabinet of fresh pastries. To the right is their shop which is, if I dare say it, one of the best clothing and merchandise shops in all of the WDW resorts. It fits the New England preppy atmosphere, selling brands such as Vineyard Vines, Lilly Pulitzer, Tommy Bahama, etc. The kids section is limited but there is a lot of options in the women's and mens section as well as cute bathing suits, mugs, snow globes, etc. They also have sunscreen which is extremely overpriced but good to know if you ever forget any because you will absolutely NEED it! The annual pass 20% discount applies to the market and the store. My kids love to get their vineyard vines here as they have special colors and styles that you can't find on the website. We're hoping Disney launches a collaboration with them because how cute would a Mickey whale be?!
10. Recreational activities: The Yacht club offers daily fishing tours, ping-pong, tennis, an arcade and a fitness center. Ship shape. I'm sure I'm missing some other things, but suffice it to say, you can have a great time exploring the resort and not even miss the park.